Don’t tell him I said this, but my husband is a very picky eater. Sometimes I have to twist his arm to get him to try new things.
Truth be told, he wasn’t thrilled when I told him I was experimenting with my own version of a pina colada sticky rice recipe for dinner to go with the chicken he was grilling.
He took one bite and immediately told me I should put the recipe on the blog. Then he finished his rice and went back for seconds. So there. I think we have a winner. Here’s the recipe:
Pina Colada Sticky Rice
- 2 cups of instant brown rice (I use Uncle Ben’s)
- 1 1/3 cups of water
- 2/3 cup of milk, with an additional 1/3 reserved. *
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut (I used unsweetened)
- finely diced fresh pineapple. About 1/2 cup
- 1 Tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Add shredded coconut to the bottom of a dry pot and cook on medium heat until lightly toasted.
- Add diced pineapple, water, and 2/3 cup of milk to the pot and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add rice and continue to boil for about 10 minutes. (This is longer than the box tells you to. Don’t worry.)
- Turn off heat. Stir in sugar, cinnamon, and 1/3 cup of milk. Add more milk, additional pineapple, and coconut if desired. Let sit for at least 5 minutes in the hot pot.
*If I would have had it on hand, I would have rather used coconut milk.
I have recently started doing Weight Watchers again. I count 1/2 cup of this rice as 6 points because of the milk and sugar.
We served it with grilled chicken and fresh, sauteed green beans, which made a really yummy 9 point dinner.