I recently saw a few blog posts from women who have been turning the mini blinds in their homes into Roman shades. I have been wanting a new window treatment for the bathroom for quite a while, so I decided to try it.
I lugged both the kids with me to Joann Fabrics yesterday morning. Actually, Tuesday Morning & Joann Fabrics. I was planning to give myself a $10 budget for this project, but when I saw a great vintage-looking fabric that would tie in our 1695 baby blue tiles with our dusty green shower curtain, I splurged just a little. I also bought fabric to line the inside, hem tape, and some trim that was on clearance for a grand total of around $35. I really only needed about $25 worth of the materials I bought, though, because I bought way too much fabric & didn’t need the hem tape after all. Oh well, now I have enough fabric left over to recover the seat of my antique gossip bench.
I used this tutorial.
Except her original blinds were a much better quality than mine. Hers are wood, mine were flimsy vinyl, so I’m going to have to buy some dowel rods to attach to the slats or something because while the finish product looks pretty, it’s not completely functional yet.
Here’s what I did:
Step 1: Remove mini blinds from window
Step 2: Dust blinds
Step 3: Measure window and decide the spacing of the new folds in the Roman shades. I kept 5 slats with 6.5 inch spacing between each one. (The picture shows more, but in the end I only kept 5)
Step 4: Remove unneeded slats and the string that spaces them out. Keep the string that runs through the middle, the pull string.
Step 5: Cut your fabric to the size of the window, leaving around a 1/2 inch extra on all sides. I sewed a liner fabric to the back of mine because I wanted extra privacy in the bathroom. If you don’t line your fabric, this is a no-sew project.
Step 6: Place your blinds face down onto the back side of your fabric. Using the hot glue gun that you had to borrow from your very sweet neighbor, Ginger, because you couldn’t find yours, fold the ends over and hot glue the fabric down on each side of the slats. Then glue the fabric to the bottom bar and top bar as well. ***Leave about an inch unglued on each side at the top so you can rehang the blinds. ***Duh. Of course I forgot this part. Another thing I need to go back & fix.
Step 7: Use the glue gun to attach any trim to the front. Also, return the glue gun to your neighbor.
Step 8: Rehang blinds.
Was it worth it? That’s still up for debate. The process took me about 3 hours, not counting the hour and a half trip to the store & back. For $25-$35 I probably could have bought a decent curtain or pull shade, although I do think this is one of the better-looking homemade window treatments I’ve done so far. However, like I said I’m not finished yet. I still have to buy & install dowel rods, so my cost is going to increase a little. Still, at under $50 it does look better than a cheaper store-bought treatment would have & I got to chose the fabric that suited my space the best. Plus there is something to be said for making things yourself. I like making things for my home & my family.
I do think I will attempt this project again. We have another window w/mini blinds in our downstairs powder room, so I think I am going to see if experience will allow me to learn from my mistakes and make a better quality shade on a smaller budget and faster time frame.
Well, there you have it. It can be done, but it’s not as cheap or quick or easy as the other blogs say. Worth a try, though. And maybe even a second try.