I don’t know about your house, but around here my kids never seem to eat vegetables the first time they are on the table. We almost always have left-overs. So, today I’m showing you my favorite way to use those left-over veggies to make a super fast weeknight dinner. This vegetable fried rice is one of my go-to meals for myself whenever I’m home for lunch as well, and as an added bonus, it’s kid-approved in our house.
If you have left-over rice, this meal comes together in minutes. Or sometimes I just use microwaveable quick-cooking rice, like the one you can find through my Amazon affiliate link. The Jasmine rice is my favorite.
I also like to take some help from the store and use a frozen vegetable blend. This is the one I like best.
Ready? Don’t blink because this recipe comes together super quickly.
Veggie Fried Rice
- 1 tbs olive or sesame oil (replace with vegetable broth to make oil free)
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1/4 cup tamari (I use the reduced sodium variety you can find here.)
- 1 bag of frozen vegetables. (I prefer the baby broccoli blend)
- 1-2 cups cooked rice
- Salt, pepper, and red pepper flake to taste
- In a large frying pan, heat oil and add garlic. Cook for about one minute.
- Turn heat to high and add other veggies. Cook and stir often until the vegetables start to get some good caramelization on the edges. (About five minutes if you are using left-over veggies from last night’s dinner. Longer if you are using frozen.)
- Add tamari and rice. Cook until heated through.
- Add spices.
That’s it! You’re done. Enjoy!
Here are a few pictures of the process, step-by-step:
My husband isn’t a big fan of onions, so I leave them out, but diced onion is a great addition. I also sometimes throw in finely diced zucchini. Use what you have.
If you are not a vegan household you could add an egg during the few minutes of cooking and scramble it in. Or add shredded chicken or pork chops left-over from a previous dinner. Or shrimp. I love all the possibilities.
Please let me know if you try it! And don’t don’t forget to pin this recipe for later.
You might also like my Easy Vegan Pad Thai: